1 Corinthians 10-17: Words of Eloquent Wisdom

I apologize the text background is a color that makes it difficult to read. Blogger is an old buggy platform that isn't listening and I'm tired of trying to get it to look right!


1 Corinthians 1: 10-17 

10 I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lor2d Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. 11 For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. 12 What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name. 16 (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.


I have read this passage soooo many times - in fact, in my Bible quizzing days I memorized it. I've studied it, too. I usually come away with the lessons "Don't argue with believers about vaccines, and if you aren't a good speaker you can still share the gospel." 

But of course the more you study these familiar passages, the more layers you uncover. It seems like Paul is talking not about adopting positions on social issues, but on following Christian leaders based on their "words of eloquent wisdom".

I think the key point of this section is the final verse, 17: "For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power."

"Words of eloquent wisdom" - isn't that the reason we pick favorite leaders to follow, especially church leaders? After all, God gives legitimate gifts with words to many pastors and teachers so they can make clear God's word to listeners. It's why we groan when we have a guest pastor speak. They're just not as good. They don't share enough anecdotes or their humor is too cheesy. They say "um" too much or simply don't make the text interesting.

Paul, this great Christian leader, did not have words of eloquent wisdom, yet it was so clear God was speaking through him that his words were included in the Bible.

We have our favorite pastors, speakers, authors, podcasts, blogs we follow, But our admiration comes with a risk: that we will be more attracted to the way in which scripture is taught than scripture itself. We follow people who follow Christ, not Christ himself. Paul says this behavior causes quarreling among believers and "empties the cross of Christ of its power"

I think the solution is to study actual scripture more than my favorite voices say about it. This will also help me appreciate "ungifted" (in my opinion!) speakers who direct me to scripture.

Comments