Church People: Go to Church #3 - You Matter

It's a fact: Most people go to churches that are simply too large to know every single member on a personal level. They are too large to know if, during the "turn and greet your neighbor" time, your neighbor's first visit is today or they have attended for 20 years.

Church sizes and their pros and cons are an entirely different discussion, so I won't get into that.

But I DO want to talk about why your participation in a local church matters - even if all you do is show up.

My Sundays are rough. Because of my sensitive ears and the worship music, I can't come to church early anymore to chat and sing. I miss out on announcements, the "meet and greet" time, and communion, because they play music during that. I also have to leave before the service ends because there's more music, then speakers broadcast music outside after the service. Oh, and it's physically exhausting because of my MS-y legs.


I might wave and whisper to a few friends, but otherwise the only thing I "get" out of coming to church is part of a sermon - a sermon the church will put on YouTube the next day.

So you might wonder: why on earth would I still attend? If it's so difficult on every part of my body, and if I don't get anything out of it, what's the point? 

Here's the point.

My absence is one less body in a gathering representing Christ's body.

I may not be serving, singing, or fellowshipping. I may not even be paying attention to the sermon or learning anything! I might not be "getting" anything and it might seem like I'm not "giving" anything.

But this group is one of many that represents a unified, universal church. Are we unified as we should be? Of course not. But the first step to being unified is to actually be in the same room as the people you're supposed to be unified with.

Your absence is one less voice singing praise to God in a multitude.
You are one less person who could have had an opportunity to bless someone, or to be blessed.
Even if, like me, we're just a butt in a pew, we matter.

DISCLAIMER:
I'm not saying everyone should be like me and go nuts insisting on going to church even when they have to crawl. I'm just saying your presence at church matters even if you think it doesn't.

Comments

  1. I totally agree. While O am saddened by your inability to take part in the whole service, I am blessed when I see you at the service. This is also a great call to those who come for bits and pieces of the service for whatevr reasons. Fellowship of anykind is what builds us up and I believe we all should be seeking out more and different people to further enrich our fellowship. I hope maybe to see you outside after church under or near the tent. Fellowship is what we make it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment